The Old town
Wide boulevard instead of narrow streets
Crossing the Ilmenau River from the Kurpark leads us to the Old Town where there some old and noteworthy Bevensen houses that survived the 19th century fire.
Most buildings are barely 200 years old
On the left side of the Brücken Street is the old half-timbered agricultural trading company building of J. C. Present from 1826. Above the main portal is a motto that still documents the close ties of trade and handicrafts to agriculture and the surrounding villages: "Town and Countryside - Side by Side".
At the corner of Lüneburger and Kirchen streets on the church square there is the Stegen Building. Built in 1778, it was renovated in 1830 and - just like the "Praesent Building - it can be recognized as a merchant house by the gable crane. The "Giebelkran" was used to hoist goods up to the attic where they were safe from mice and thieves.
On the Church Square it is perhaps surprising to see a large bell. This bell was cast in iron as a replacement for the bronze bell that was melted down as raw material during World War II. In the early 1970s cracks and holes were discovered and because the suspension had been damage by rust, it did not seem safe to hang it up again, so it too was replaced by a new bronze bell. Now both bells vibrating in the church tower are again made of bronze. The old iron bell is a memorial to those hard times.
The 16-tone chimes above the memorial bell have been playing seasonal melodies three times daily since 1992. The church itself was rebuilt after the Great Fire of 1811 as single-nave brick building on the foundations of the church built in 1735. The two stones with the numbers "7" and "3" remained intact in the middle section.
Oldest houses in the 17th century
A well-preserved former trading house is located in the Bäckergang (Bakers Alley). The massive half-timbered frames date back to 1683 and the gable crane recalls the previous function of the house. The living quarters were on the first upper floor. The office was on the ground floor which is now used a beauty salon.
One of the oldest houses is the Bartheidel house at the corner of Bäckergang and Berg Street. Built in 1608, it has been owned by the Bartheidel family since 1895.
In Bad Bevensen the town councilors still have to go to school today: The City Council is in fact located in an 1868 brick building built as a school on Linden Street. In 1994 most of the administration moved in to larger premises in the Administration Center at Linden Steet 12 - which was built as a school in 1910. The Mayor and his staff remain in the Old Town Hall (Rathaus).
Bad Bevensen's public library is located in the Griepe House which was built in 1859 by master bricklayer Griepe and was acquired by the city in the 1980s as an historic landmark. After undergoing major restoration it was opened as the town's public library.
Perhaps the most beautiful building in Bad Bevensen is the Council Apothecary ("Ratsapotheke") at the corner of Lüneburg Street / Krummer Arm at the end of the pedestrian zone. Since 1817 this has been the oldest pharmacy in Bad Bevensen. It was built in 1798 by a physician. In 1984 the house was renovated and the half-timbered facade remodeled becoming one of the Old Town's architectural treasures.